Friday, October 16, 2009

Calling E.T.

Tonight as I was out walking I shined my flashlight at Jupiter. It's a really nice flashlight -- very bright -- and a cool planet -- also quite bright in our sky. So I started wondering how long it will take for my meager photons to get to Jupiter. At this website I discovered that Jupiter is currently 4.545 AU from us, or 679,922,910 kilometers. That means, if my Google-math is correct that my light will get to Jupiter in about 38 minutes. Well, will have gotten, then. I've been home about an hour.

PS. Google-math is doing multiplication, addition, units conversion and the like by typing them into the search box on Google. For those of us who are too lazy to click the start menu and launch the calculator program.

PPS. My flashlight is da bomb.

No comments:

Post a Comment